Sunday, September 11, 2011

Cover Letter



Megha Bhattacharya
26 College Avenue East,
Tembusu Residential College,
#15-163 Singapore 138597
Phone: +65 98213727

10th September, 2011

Mr. XYZ ABC
HR Director, Lucasfilms Singapore,
The Signature #05-00,
51 Changi Business Park Central 2
Singapore 486066

Dear Mr. ABC,

Having heard so much about Lucasfilms and Productions, I was really eager to apply for the ‘Learn from the Master’ Internship programme for this summer. As a Year Two Computer Engineering student, I plan to take up graphic designing and animation as my field of specialization. Talking to some people who have worked under this Internship programme last summer, I have learnt a lot about the style of working in Lucasfilms. The creatively inspiring work environment of Lucasfilms along with the learning opportunities you provide are an important stepping stone for a beginner or an intern.  For a beginner like me, I think this is the best opportunity to grow as a graphic designer or animator. Also my persistent learning process and experimental approach to work will constructively add to your company’s innovation.  

I have learnt a lot from my summer internship at Codebox, which provides freelance work for American companies,  as an Online Marketing Intern, where my job scope taught me to imagine creative solutions to old problems, display artistic skills for E-campaigns, interact with different people and cultivate workplace professionalism between the culturally different teammates. Hence my artistic innovation can be of great use to Lucasfilms as a graphic designer.  

As a coordinator for various student run clubs like NUS Indian Dance, Sparkz-Talent Show of NUS, I have gained the skill of prioritizing tasks, organizing events and multitasking which is essential as a part of the requirement for this internship. As a part of NUS Stage, I learnt to understand various phases of any production – film, theatre or dance. Hence I value productions and will be an asset to the company in maintaining or managing productions.

Since I am currently working as an Events Executive for ASEANpreneur Singapore, I interact with people all around the ASEAN region through verbal and written means of communication enhancing my people’s skills, ability to interact with a wide spectrum of people, and communicate effectively.

It would give me great pleasure to tell you more about me if I were able to meet you sometime. I would love to provide a more detailed insight into what I can do for your company. I am hoping to hear from you soon. Feel free to contact me through any mode of communication – phone or email.

Yours truly,

Megha Bhattacharya
Enclosures: Resume 

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous! it It turned out beautifully, i really like this stunning article.


    Resume template

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megha,

    Your post clearly shows how you are fit for the job position you are applying for :)

    I honestly think you must write a shorter application letter because this takes more than one page. This usually is an elimination factor in many companies. I am not sure if in this field this is a customary letter. Please tell me if it is.

    Lance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halloo Megha!

    Your letter has rather impressive credentials! And your writing is clear too. But you could make it more concise; it's too long.

    Maybe your intro should be split into more paragraphs. In fact, this "The creatively inspiring work environment of Lucasfilms along with the learning opportunities you provide are an important stepping stone for a beginner or an intern. For a beginner like me, I think this is the best opportunity to grow as a graphic designer or animator" is redundant, since I doubt if the person cares about what his company can do for you. :(

    Your tone is confident, as it should be, so other than the length, your impressive credentials (and letter) should get you the internship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Megha,
    I think your post is very clear and detailed in that it talks about why you want to join the firm as well as about the relevant skills that you possess. I, too, believe that your post is slighlty long and you may want to shorten it. Overall a very good cover letter.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hellooo!! xD

    Sorry, I just happened to see your post. Hope you don't mind. =P

    I think your cover letter is simpler than Dave's, more easily understandable and grasped. I actually kinda prefer your cover letter to Dave's? I think because of the simpler words and ideas, I find it much more clearer than Dave's. However there is also 1 bad point about this. There might not be enough variety or some special characteristic about your cover letter. What I mean is that I cannot see enough personality and character in your cover letter as compared to Dave's? Maybe some powerful verbs and imagery is needed?

    But actually not to worry, your letter is already very clear, but you might wanna consider my suggestion too. Yup xD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the feedback.

    I shall work upon the length. :)

    Thank you to Shiny-pearl and Shaik. I realise you are not a part of the module for which I am writing this. But I appreciate your comments. I will work upon adding more imagery into this letter to make it sound more confident and strong. :) And Shaik, thanks for that link. :)

    ReplyDelete