Friday, November 11, 2011

Overview of Course







As we all agree, this course has been an enriching experience for all of us. It has not only been the only class with my utmost attendance, but also my most-looked-forward to class. To describe the class in one word would be fulfilling – in terms of content, concept and company.


One of the most important activities for me was the mock interviews. Being a university student, in order to secure good internships, it is important to be able to give a good interview. Personally, this was one thing I was really unsure of. Starting from writing a cover letter to making the final mark on an interview was a feared arena for me. I would consciously try to stay away from going for interviews and try and have phone interviews. Also I was very unsure of how to build an effective resume and an equally complimentary cover letter. Hence this course taught me to structure my resume and letter correctly, to use effective words, to format professionally and to present confidently. All the usual faux pas made by a novice were clarified and worked upon in this part of the course. Also the ability to look at an interview from the interviewer’s and the interviewee’s perspective is important to truly understand what makes an interview a successful one. Hence the activity of the mock interviews helped a lot in that understanding. The peer teaching about Interviews was a highly enriching one from which I learnt a lot and hope to use most of it in any upcoming interview.






Once again, I would like to thank all of the members of this sectional teaching group for being so easy to work with and being an absolutely delight. I hope the semester was a good one for all.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Megha,

    I did not really have a chance to work with you during class. I was in different group as you for peer teaching, proposal project and mock interviews. However, we are in the same blogging group!

    From your blog post, I definitely see that you gained a lot from the interviews. Now that you understand the two perpectives of the interview, you should put the skills learnt into good use. Sometimes, we never know if the job or the internship suits us. This is when we have to give the interview a shot to give ourselves a chance for the job or internship.

    Along with other skills that we have acquired from the various tasks that we have done, I am sure we will put them into great use when we start hunting for jobs after we graduate :)

    Certainly, I hope we can all get together after examinations so that I can get to know you better! Anyway, I just want to tell you I really enjoyed your presentation very much and to hear your group's awesome ideas.

    Cheers,
    Ai Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megha,

    You are the the second person I got to know among the class (the first being Samuel). Still remember the day when we three sat in a wrong classroom at a wrong time? =)
    You are enthusiastic, talkative and very out-going, whether in your daily talk or in a official presentation. It's a pity we didn't see your dance in the last class. =)
    Glad to know that you have learnt so much on interviews. All the best with the finals and life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hey group mate!!
    Thanks for being such an awesome group mate. I remember all the meetings we had at utown. It was a real joy to have the both of you in the team. You are a real interesting character and a great friend. All the best and keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Megha, for this well-focused reflection on an aspect of the course that you found especially beneficial. You explain the application process segment in a clear, concise manner, and you do so quite comprehensively. I appreciate your effort with this as with the other assignments you completed through the course. It warms my heart that you can put what you've learned to use (and I assume you're ready to embrace your next interview!).

    There are a couple minor language problems here:

    1) Being a university student, in order to secure good internships, it is important to be able to give a good interview. >>> Being a university student, I need to secure good internships, so it is important for me to be able to give a good interview.

    2) Personally, this was one thing I was really unsure of. Starting from writing a cover letter to making the final mark on an interview was a feared arena for me. >>> Personally, this was one thing I was really unsure of, starting from writing a cover letter to making the final mark on an interview was a feared arena for me.

    3) The peer teaching about Interviews was a highly enriching one from which I learnt a lot and hope to use most of it in any upcoming interview. >>> The peer teaching about Interviews was a highly enriching one from which I learnt a lot; I hope to use what I learned in any upcoming interview.

    Still, this is a very good effort. Best of luck as you continue your learning and eventually go out into the working world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Megha, I had the chance to 'sternly' grill you in the interview! and I enjoyed that! lol. Like what I shared with the class, you showed that you were clear of the direction in your life. This would greatly heighten your chances in interview, especially when you have the necessary knowledge in softwares, gaming etc. All the best to your finals & future endeavours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Megha,

    It is good that you consider the application/interview parts of this course as most beneficial. I am sure that they will come in handy to your internship applications in the near future.

    Even though, we were not together in any of the teams for this course, it was good getting to know you through the multiple sharing sessions.

    All the best for your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your comments. :)

    Thanks a lot Brad for this amazing class. I will keep in mind the language errors.

    Once again, goodluck to all.

    ReplyDelete