Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Step Down...

A 16-yr old from your school, who was your friend as well, wins a talent show and is then selected to represent India in the world wide platform. You hear this from your another friend on phone, when you had called him up to ask him about some doubts you had in 'Electrostatics' while truly, madly, deeply preparing for the JEE. [Yes, the over-hyped JEE!] It seems as though life is mocking at you! On one hand, one amongst you gets to kiss the coveted lips of fame, success, opportunity and most importantly luck! On the other far end of the hand, you sit and wreck your brains in search of some totally inconspicuous physics answer which in no way can affect or perhaps improve your existence.
My school motto said, "Offer equal opportunities to all, so that they can rise to their fullest potential." I so wish that our dear mortal friend Mr. Life believed in the same motto. Now this blog might just appear like a big complain letter to my loser-life, but this is not just that, it is a proof of how low a person's morale can go due to the success of a contemporary. I lie at that crossroad of life where I need to work hard to try and think of the best way to establish my own self, in its truest sense. Whilst me doing this, I hear of a person who has got so much of success so early in his life! This disheartens us to a very great extent. In fact to the extent that we need to run a reality check on our own self, our own achievements, our own goals and also about our own capabilities! For the massive mediocre I am a part of, I might take, to say the least, a decade to call myself an good-earner. But this person gets an excellent base to start on, right at the age of 16. Lady luck grins at him, and gives a horrendously huge frown at me.
Of all the good things we learn in life, we learn about the seven sins as well. And the worst among them, 'ENVY' becomes our best friend. Maybe its not that we aren't happy for Mr/Ms Successful, its just that we truly, madly, deeply start wishing for at least the 'S' of success. Maybe we can pull through the other letters to just 'suc[k]' up.
This is not just happening to me, for how much I know of this world, I think everyone finds such a person who makes us realise how unworthwhile we are. Everyone reaches a point where we lose our self confidence and try our best to self deprecate our self. What we then desperately need is an assurance from our inner self that screams, "Go ahead, Champ! You can do it!"
I was going through all this the whole day, and then suddenly, out of the blue, one of my friend tells me something which laser prints itself into my A4 size heart. She simple says, "But I think, life is fair. It knows very well what to give whom and when to give it!" Maybe she is right! We might not always get the thing at the time we 'want' it but maybe we will get it at a time when we 'need' it. Maybe my friend needs to be successful now. Maybe I am better off without any success now. Maybe this thing will get me more motivated towards my 'entrance-exam-cracking-fiasco'. Maybe life thinks I have too much on my platter now that there is no place, there is no need for any success. After all we can always very grapes-are-sour-ly say, "If life gave us everything, where would we keep it!"

3 comments: