Sunday, August 21, 2011

What Communication Means to Me

As one deeply thinks about communication, not the just the professional aspect of it comes into the picture, but also personal communication. To put it more objectively, learning about communication involves how, why and what is communication in all realms of life. And that is precisely what we are going to infer in this course – ES2007S.
Communication for me is a flow – of thoughts, ideas, ideals, dreams and even emotions. Dictionaries define communication as an act of giving. It is to a very large extent the truest meaning of communication. I believe in the power of giving, not just philanthropically, but in a more direct and literal manner. You give a person a part of you. That is communication! And when it involves something so personal it has to be effective. Hence effective communication is important for me.
On a very personal note, being a people’s person in and out, I believe that effective communication is important in any human relationship be it at the workplace, home, school or anywhere. As history has been proof of how even slight miscommunication lead to a breakup, an unsuccessful deal or in the most extreme cases, even loss of life.
World’s biggest problems have never risen from the fact that someone did communicate, but from the fact that there was miscommunication or in some case no-communication. Hence a basic skill set of efficient communicating abilities is a must. I strongly believe that humans are a vulnerable race, and if you are able to convince them with your communication skills, the world will be yours.

7 comments:

  1. I like how you put it - "(Communication means) you give a part of you." I guess this is what I am learning. Totally with you, rgding your point on diasterous problems arising from mis-communication or even no-communication.
    -Hao Zhao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megha =)

    Compared to Hao Zhao's post, yours is on a very personal note and I see some of your philosophy inside.

    Is communication just about giving? How about receiving? I think the differences in our understanding of communication arise from our roles in communication. I am more of the time a listener. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with zongyang that communication is about giving and receiving. It is important to give and receive, lest the person thinks that you are not interested in this relationship/interaction. Well, unless you mean that you are want the person to receive your unintended non verbal cues. /:

    Extending from commumication is a process of giving part of yourself, I think this is how we build trust between people. This is also the very reason why people love to hear personal stories from others. Of course, with trust, communication will be more effective as the way you perceive the person will affect the way you decode his message. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Hao Zhao! :)

    Zongyang & Viviene, now that I retrospect after reading your comments, it makes me think. Maybe communication is about giving and taking. But essentially I meant to say that communication in the first place begins with you giving something - your thoughts for eg. And also, unless someone receives or takes your giving, it wont be communication. Hence I to an extent accept your outlook about it being a two way transaction.

    Zongyang, I am a very fluid writer and hence I sometimes have the tendency to lose the formal tone of any text. Maybe your comments can help me keep that it check. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As all the other said, your post is really personal which a really nice way imagine it.

    I would recommend you to add examples for the last paragraph.
    Also, as Zongyang said, there is a sender and a receiver, and I am guessing you are not only sending messages are you :P

    I really loved your post because it made the internal relation between me and communication clearer to me.

    Rami

    PS: Comment on my Post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's interesting, Megha, that your readers have characterized this post as "personal," even comparing it to the post of others (implying those are more impersonal).

    When I read your "ideas" that's precisely what I see, ideas, concepts, general statements. I see here what you believe, yes, but I don't see the challenges that you, Megha, face in communicating, I don't see a scenario that demonstrates who you are as a communicator or who you want to become.

    Do you understand my view?

    I do like many of your ideas. In fact, your idea of communication being an act of giving seems insightful to me. If I understand you correctly, that can even apply to listening, for as listeners we also give attention, and time, and energy to a given speaker or to a listening task.

    One of your statements I must question though. You write as follows: "World’s biggest problems have never risen from the fact that someone did communicate, but from the fact that there was miscommunication or in some case no-communication."

    Is that really true? Don't some people communicate their ideas to others only to find that there is disagreement?

    In any case, thank you for the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Brad,

    Sorry for the late response to this one.

    Firstly, I do get your point. I should have included more about the challenges I face.

    Secondly, thank you for being able to understand my viewpoint correctly.

    Thirdly, that was a really interesting rebuttal to my point about world problems being heavily dependent on no communication. I agree a lot of problems are due to disagreements, but if these disagreements weren't disclosed or let out before itself, it would give rise to a feeling of pent up dissatisfaction which would lead to more complicated and bigger problems. Hence I stressed on my point.

    ReplyDelete